So, after hours and days of swiping, you finally found one or two people you are interested in.
You go to send them a message, but then you stop and think: what the heck do I even say?
Even if I do think of something, will they reply?
The stress of dating has officially begun and now you don’t even want to talk to them anymore.
You consider deleting the app because making the first move is too hard.
Hold on, and breathe, girl.
Starting a conversation on Bumble is incredibly nerve-wracking for no good reason.
Not only do you have to think of something to say, but you also have to think of something to say that will start a good conversation.
Trying to think of online dating messages that will get responses is as painful as stepping on a lego randomly.
As someone who has been through the ringer with dating apps, I am here to share some of my Bumble expertise.
I have been on Bumble for the past couple years, and have met some awesome guys in the process.
This is going to sound crazy, but honestly, my favorite thing about Bumble is being able to say something first.
Being able to guide the conversation where you want it to go is actually a plus.
You can work it in your favor.
It’s actually a good thing, ladies!
So much so, I prefer Bumble over the other popular dating apps.
Once you get to start a couple of conversations, it gets easier.
Now, you’re probably thinking: well, can’t I just say hey on Bumble?
Nice try, girlfriend. If only it were that simple.
A majority of Bumble users say in their bios that they will ignore anyone who only says “hi” or “hey”.
Hate to break it to you, but the effort is attractive, and it will ultimately get you a date with your Bumble crush.
Unfortunately, you’re going to have to use your brainpower for this one.
Now don’t stress, I did most of the work for you.
The only work I need you to do is find a cutie pie to send a message to.
20 Best Bumble Conversation Starters
- Mention something specific about their profile
- Shows them that you actually cared enough to look through their profile to learn a bit about them and make a comment on it.
- This opens the doorway for them to say something about you in return.
- “I think out of the two of us, you’re definitely the most attractive.”
- Everyone loves compliments, particularly by something they think is attractive.
- 10 times out of 10, this will get you a compliment in return and boost your confidence.
- “What’s the most fun you have ever had?”
- Swapping stories is a great way to break the ice, and this particular question will let you get to know what kinds of things your crush likes to do for fun.
- You could maybe even recreate the most fun they’ve had on a date.
- “Do you believe in soulmates, friendship or relationship wise?”
- Not everyone believes in soulmates, and you can learn a lot about someone by knowing whether or not they do believe in them.
- If the conversation ends up going really well, you could continue with: “Maybe we could test out if we’re soulmates on a date.”
- “Do you believe in aliens?”
- Small talk can be boring which prompts the other person to not reply, deep conversation is intriguing.
- I have had the best luck with writing about a deep subject that will be interesting to other people.
- “What’s the most risky thing you’ve ever done?”
- Another chance to swap stories, with a twist.
- This story question will give you a peek into what kinds of rebellious things your crush has gotten into.
- “What’s your favorite thing to do in the summer?
- Summertime is a popular season, and everyone has their favorite activities to do.
- It’s an easy question that doesn’t require the other person to put in a lot of thought or effort.
- “What is something that is on your bucket list?”
- By asking this, you have a hidden agenda. If they have something on their bucket list they haven’t crossed off yet, maybe you guys could cross it off together.
- “If you had a theme song, what would it be?”
- TV shows always have theme songs, and everyone likes music, so this is a safe topic that anyone can reply too.
- Get to know their music taste and take note of the song they reply with. It might be one of their favorite songs.
- “Quick! Waffles or pancakes?”
- Breakfast foods are the food of the gods, bar none. Find out which one your crush prefers, or if they even like breakfast food!
- This is a great way to also ask them out on a date for brunch after settling the debate on which one is better. P.S. – it’s waffles. 😉
- “What are 3 things you couldn’t live without?”
- I know, you probably thought of 3 things immediately. So will your crush.
- Sometimes it’s better to go with a question that is easy to reply to. Some people might shy away from a question that requires too much thought to answer.
- “Would you rather….”
- Hands down, asking a would you rather question is one of the funniest first online messages to send to a guy.
- You will get a guaranteed response, and this is a more lighthearted approach than some of the deeper questions.
- “So, I’m curious. What are your biggest turn ons?”
- If there is one thing every single person in the world has, it’s turn-ons.
- Great opportunity to see what gets your crush interested, and what keeps them interested. Don’t sleep on this question.
- “You have the best smile I’ve ever seen.”
- Whether you truly mean this or not, compliments are always a win.
- A good chunk of the population is insecure about their smile – so if your crush happens to have a picture of them smiling, this would be a perfect time to say something about it.
- “You’re so cute – is that your only job?”
- You may not know how to flirt, or think you’re too socially awkward, but calling someone cute is the easiest way to flirt.
- Besides, if they matched with you, they most likely think you’re cute too, use that and run with it!
- “I’m not sure what’s cuter – your smile or your eyes.”
- Wouldn’t you smile after getting this message? (I sure would.)
- This is a conversation starter that will definitely get you brownie points because not only did you compliment one part of their face, you complimented two parts of their face. Win win.
- “What’s your idea of a perfect vacation?”
- Vacations are the best part of being alive, so where would your crush go if they could go anywhere?
- I love this one because it has always ended up in great conversations about travel stories.
- If you’re in the market for a new travel buddy, try this one out!
- “If I sent a genie to you right now, what are two things you would wish for?”
- You could even ask for three things they would wish for!
- When they answer, make sure to share your answer, and pose a question/make a comment about something they would wish for.
- “What is the period of time you would teleport to if you could?”
- I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have an answer to this question.
- A unique way to start getting to know each other.
- “What makes you happiest?”
- Although similar to one of the former questions, this one doesn’t ask what their happiest memory is, it asks what makes them happiest.
- This question does have a hidden agenda. If there is a date in the future, you could possibly show up with something that makes them happy.
But…. What if I don’t like any of these? I got you, girl.
Here are 14 more ideas that could help you think of the right thing to say:
- Have you ever broken a promise?
- What’s your biggest dream?
- Would you ever go bungee jumping or do anything adventurous?
- What are your biggest pet peeves?
- What’s a movie that you can re-watch multiple times without ever getting sick of it?
- Are you a procrastinator or do you accomplish things fast?
- Are you a morning person or night owl?
- Are you a beach or mountain person?
- What made you swipe right on me?
- Who is your biggest role model in your life right now?
- Do you think you’re a good person?
- What’s your idea of a perfect Saturday or Sunday?
- What are your deal breakers?
- Okay, serious question: Sunset or sunrise?
Making the first move freaks even the most experienced dater out.
Out of all the steps that follow the beginning of a relationship, I promise starting a conversation is one of the easiest.
Don’t overthink it.
Remember, you’ve already been matched with this person.
They are interested and they want to talk to you.
Peruse their profile, look over their pictures once more, see what you can gather about them.
I have found that most of the time, thinking of the perfect online dating message to send to a guy lies within their profile.
Don’t be afraid to be bold and make a statement, literally.